USS Eutaw (1863-1867)
USS Eutaw , a 1173-ton Sassacus class "double-ender" steam gunboat built at Baltimore, Maryland, was commissioned in July 1863. Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, she spent most of the Civil War operating on the Potomac and James Rivers and along the Atlantic coast.
In May 1864, Eutaw covered the army as it landed below City Point, Virginia, and, in July of that year, she bombarded the Confederates at Malvern Hill. Later in July 1864, she towed the ill-fated monitor Tecumseh to the Gulf of Mexico, returning to the James River in August.
In April 1865, with the War nearly at an end, Eutaw went to New York, where she decommissioned in early May. She was sold in October 1867.
Lithograph published by Endicott & Co., New York, circa 1865.
This image was used in Endicott & Co. prints to represent many, if not all, of the Sassacus class "double-ender" gunboats.
American Civil War Marines 1861-65
Marines wearing blue and grey fought in many dramatic actions afloat and ashore – ship-to-ship engagements, cutting-out expeditions, and coastal landings. This book offers a comprehensive summary of all such battles, illustrated with rare early photographs
Confederate Ironclad vs Union Ironclad: Hampton Roads 1862
The Ironclad was a revolutionary weapon of war. Although iron was used for protection in the Far East during the 16th century, it was the 19th century and the American Civil War that heralded the first modern armored self-propelled warships.